LilleyVision

In which an Oxford graduate negotiates the turgid waters of the British employment market. And rants about it.

Monday, May 09, 2005

Monday, Monday (part two)

My pessimism turned out to be correct, rather than my misplaced attempts at self-delusion. Yet another interview ends in abject failure. The truly infuriating thing is that, following some great advice from a recruitment consultant friend, I thought I'd performed much better, sold myself well, and got myself in with a chance. Turns out not. They'd bloody better give me some feedback, though. You wouldn't believe till you've tried it just how hard that can be to wring out of the average HR department (the words blood and stone come to mind), and when one does succeed it's often stuff like "your application was very strong but another candidate was felt to be more ideal for the post" which makes me, at least in my post-rejection paranoia, think that the real answer is more likely "we don't like your face" or "your Scottish accent would annoy our suppliers". So if anyone knows just what it is that's currently making me unemployable, do please tell - because employers won't!

1 Comments:

  • At 5:36 pm, Blogger French Fancy... said…

    What a shame it turned out this way. For 13 years I interviewed possibly hundreds of people for accountancy positions at the practice for whom I worked.

    What I always felt was vital was an immediate impression of someone alive and - dare I use cliches - vibrant. Warm and friendly with a smile. Your CV must have been good to get to the interview stage, maybe you become a bit stilted due to nerves.

    I really hope you find the right thing for you soon.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home