LilleyVision

In which an Oxford graduate negotiates the turgid waters of the British employment market. And rants about it.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Run, Lilley, Run!

A couple of posts back I mentioned my purchase of a pair of scarily expensive running shoes. Well, money has succeeded where all more sensible concerns failed (I am a Scot, after all) and driven out to exercise. I've got even less fit since I stopped riding on moving south, so it was about time something was done. I've now started the programme detailed in this book, and so far, so good. I feel tremendously pleased with myself. Currently I am trying to badger a friend into running a Race for Life with me - watch this space.

Spring is springing, the weather is improving, and I need a new coat. And, of course, the threatened hosepipe ban is getting ever nearer. Any Scottish readers I might have will probably be surprised and frightened to hear that sometimes it goes for THREE or even FOUR days without raining, and when it does rain, it's only ever vertical! 'Tis not God's way, say I. In all seriousness, however, a drought in England's wet season is deeply disturbing, and I can't help feeling that it's symptomatic of a greater malaise. Not to mention, of course, the ODPM's plan to build thousands of new houses on land that is either a) in the area currently affected by water shortages or b) vulnerable to flooding. Where's the happy medium?

I'm enjoying looking at the spring sunshine as I write this, but I'd better enjoy it while I can, since we're allegedly moving to the basement any day now. On the plus side, no stairs; on the minus, no windows. Well.

Anyway, back to the grindstone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home